Saturday, November 21, 2009

In Which I Travel to "Real New Zealand" and Survive

Palmerston North for work this week. I have to humbly remove my metaphorical cap from my head, and admit that it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. It certainly has improved from the last time I was there, which was around 15 years ago.

In fact, it very much reminded me of Salem, Oregon! Except with better restaurants. There's no denying that the countryside is gorgeous, and our hotel was pretty nice too. Had one of those awesome Art Deco era cage lifts, where you have to close both the doors or it won't go.

Highlights included a delicious dinner with my colleagues, a day trip to Whanganui to see the poison factory (it smelled like cookies), lunch next to a cowpat up the Whanganui river, and an invitation from a couple of the contractors to go possum hunting. Which I fully intend to take up.

The earthquake was quite exciting. The biggest jolt hit at the exact same time that my butt hit the toilet seat in the morning, and for one groggy moment, I thought I'd done something bad! But I don't think I have that much omnipotence, now that I think about it.

Not sure if anyone reads this blog who knows how to read Greek... but on the off-chance. I seem to have picked up some sort of asshole spammer, who keeps posting "comments" on my post entitled 'Post'. I've deleted 6 so far, but they keep coming. WTF?

Anyway, that's it from me for the day. Gotta go pick up Tracy and Samantha from the airport! Huzzah!

1 comment:

Mary said...

Shannon has this blog but I'm not sure if she is still a regular reader. If you need a greek translation, she's your woman!