Sunday, August 26, 2007

Getting around, getting better

I've figured out how to cut my travel time to work in half (with extensive help from David) and I went to see a flat today. It's all coming together nicely... Hmm. I think I promised funny stories about my adventures.

To be honest, nothing particularly side-splitting has happened yet. I think the little running man on the pedestrian crossings is hilarious, but as you know I am half deranged on my father's side...

The only thing I can think of to write about, is the bloody marvellous public transport system in Taipei. The MRT (think that stands for Mass Rapid Transport system) is fantastic. You get a card from any 7-11, which seem to be on every second corner here, and you load it up with credit. You swipe it as you enter the MRT station, you get on, and when you get off you swipe again. The computer chip remembers where you got on, and deducts the correct fare! And you can use them on the buses as well. I am so impressed I can hardly stop going on about it. Why the hell does NZ have surly bus drivers with hole punchers???? If they had a super-cool system like this one, the buses might actually run on time. What a novelty that would be.

Anyway, I think it rocks.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Hi Honey, I just checked Blind Squirrel and here are lots of news stories. I thought I would get a notice when you posted something new, but No....so, I will check regularly now. I just emailed you...so no news. It all sounds good though and you sound happy.
Love you lots.
Mum