Thursday, September 4, 2008

Random Adventures

When we were in Japan, waiting for the plane to the States, I went off to find a coffee. Annie said that the coffee shop by our gate would take American cash, so I was confident of getting my caffeine fix.

I ordered a latte and handed her a $20. "EEEEEEEEE!" she shrieked! "Oh no no no! I do not have such change! Too big too big!" Humph.

I schlepped all the way back to the Bureau de Change, and got some yen. Then schlepped all the way back to the coffee shop.

There was an elderly American gentleman ahead of me in the queue, and he also had a $20 note. She did it again! "EEEEEEEEEE!" So I butted in and said that it was a hell of a hike to get change, and instead why didn't I just buy him a coffee? Well he graciously accepted, but the server woman blew a cutesy Japanese gasket!

"EEEEEEEEEEE! So nice! So nice!" She started bowing to me, and then she called over the other employee for a rapid Japanese effusion on what a lovely person I am. He listened in awe, and then also started bowing to me. Bloody hell!

Me and the old guy were relieved to get our coffees so we could escape.

No comments: