Friday, January 9, 2009

Glass Flowers

I went to the Peabody Museum of Archaeology and the Museum of Natural History at Harvard today.

And I have to say.

I've seen a lot of museums in my time, in a reasonably wide variety of countries. And I have hardly ever seen a collection quite this good. It was amazing!

Plus, (and I'm sure lots of you have heard of it) the MofNH has the Glass Flowers collection. This family of German glass-makers were commissioned by a couple of richies in Boston to make a complete collection of plants in glass, for Harvard. For teaching purposes. I spent most of my time in that room with my mouth wide open, trying to figure out how they made FLOWERS, and GRASS, and LEAVES out of glass. I didn't take photos because I don't think you're supposed to, so here's a link to it instead. I swear, they look real. I couldn't even see anything that made me think "ah yes, 'tis glass".

I also saw the most amazing collection of butterflies, beetles, birds, DINOSAURS, a live scorpion, and a collection of rocks and crystals and elements and stuff that would make you want to sleep under a cabinet so you could see it all again in the morning.

Tracy, you would have LOVED this place. Please come and visit! I know someone on the inside - I can get us in for free!

Also, I saw a Dodo.

No comments: