Sunday, January 4, 2009

Winter Musings

Happy New Year, gentle reader! I hope you were better behaved than I was.

Winter in Massachusetts has only been happening for a couple of weeks, and although I'm not exactly sick of it, I am sort of ready for it to be over. It just takes so damn long to get out the door!

Recipe for Outings:
  • Two pairs of socks
  • Gumboots
  • Proper shoes that are nice, but no good for getting wet in the snow
  • Hat
  • Gloves
  • Scarf
  • Bag O Crap
Take all the above, don in at least 2 different orders, swear repeatedly while changing the order, eventually get everything on Self; leave house.

And did I mention that my ears seem to have shrunk in the cold? My ipod ear buds no longer fit in my ears, and fall out all the bloody time. Fortunately, they're mostly wedged between my hat and my head, so they don't go far.

New things that I now know about snow and winter:
  • If you stick salt on snow, it melts.
  • Salt is not good for your shoes.
  • If you kick a big chunk of ice with cold feet, you will injure your big toe.
  • The footprints in the back yard are probably from a raccoon, not an intruder.
  • You should always shovel snow right away before it turns into a solid mass of frikking ice.
  • That crazy nun from The Sound of Music was out of her tree when she included snowflakes on her nose and eyelashes as one of her favourite things. Nothing sucks more than snowflakes on your nose and eyelashes.
Here's some photos! This one is Ruby, the McCoys' dog. Isn't she cute? I like to sing her the 2 lines that I remember of Goodbye Ruby Tuesday, and rub her ears.



This is Caroline and Anna's collection of Santas. I know the photo is crap, but they're actually really cool.



And to round things off, this is one of the formal strawberries that Martha brought home on Christmas Eve. Kosal: you MUST learn how to do this! They're hilarious.

No comments: