Sunday, February 15, 2009

In Which Hugo Gets a Bath

I would have thought that a tortoise would like having a bath in a wheelbarrow, but turns out I'm wrong. That's turtles.

Hugo was rudely interrupted from whatever it was that he was doing this morning by Ali and me, who were determined that he be spruced and retired to his winter quarters.

I really wish I'd taken a photo of Alison's bum sticking out of his burrow while she dragged him out, because it was damn funny.

Here's Hugo waiting for the water to be nice and warm. Dusty, isn't he? Not for long!



Oh, so much better... We had to empty the water out and change it, because he was soooo grubby.

And by the way guys, just for future reference, land tortoises do NOT appreciate a bit of simulated wave action. He hissed at me and disappeared inside his shell. Sorry Hugo.



I decided to get a photo with him anyway, since he was a captive subject!



Poor Ali's back. 75 pounds of grumpy wet tortoise is not good for one's spine.



Aaaaah... Safe in the winter palace! This place is the pimped out tortoise chateau of dreams, I'm telling ya. TWO heat lamps, plus it's in a heated room in the shed, a dogloo to live in (the answer is in the name. Think about it a bit, and I know you'll figure it out) and a newly dusted personal accommodation unit to enjoy.

Plus, apparently soaking in a bit of warm water will loosen up his normally staying put for the winter bowels, and he'll be taking a nice tortoise crap some time soon.



The fun never stops at the farm!

1 comment:

Mary said...

Great tortoise pictures.