Saturday, December 22, 2007

Taiwan Day

Man, you try to do the right thing...

I paid some money off my credit card yesterday (or so I stupidly thought) and this morning I got a very excited and concerned call from my bank. The National Bank does not exist. How can this be, you say? It's one of New Zealand's biggest! It's been around for years! It has a website!

It's written right there on your credit card. Underneath the BIG writing that says The National Bank. Squint a bit. There you go... it says "This card remains the property of ANZ National Bank Limited". And as irrefutable PROOF that The National Bank does not exist, some guy at the Dong Hu branch of the First Bank of Taiwan can't find it in his database.

And also, my account does not exist because (wait for it) the number is too long.

After half an hour of incredulous stares at each other, while he shouted "MERGER" at me and I shouted back "SO FUCKING WHAT? IT'S CLEARLY THE SAME PLACE!" I had to fill out all the forms again using the "correct" name of my bank, and put the money in an account with an acceptably short number.

No comments: