Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Winter Residence

Went to see Alex and David tonight - I'm house-sitting for them for a month or so from next week. Not really crazy about the commute out to Nei Hu, but very much looking forward to having 2 beautiful cats to keep me company! Huasheng and Hansel - prepare yourselves for the snuggling...

Taiwan Observations:

They're always doing really funny exercises in the parks. Like, walking backwards. Or doing John Travolta-esque dance moves. The other day I was waiting for the MRT, and a woman walked straight into me because she was walking backwards and she didn't see me!

The kids eat some pretty weird snacks. They're always trying to share things with me like strips of seaweed.

Lots of people seem to burp a lot, and they're a great nation for nose picking. Nobody seems to notice except the foreigners.

They really and honestly truly are completely INSANE on the roads. But somehow it works, so who am I to comment?

They're much politer about cellphone usage than at home. If they're in public they'll cover their mouths with a hand while they talk, and they're hardly ever loud.

Things like road-works seem to happen a lot faster than good old NZ. No ubiquitous man with a shovel standing by the road here. You'll pass a concrete truck and some gravel in the morning, and by afternoon it's a lovely paved road.

Construction workers are from the Good Old Days - in other words, they stare and point and yell at girls who walk past...

Well, guess that's about it for now. It's kind of late and I should go to bed. God I'm useless! I honestly slept for 15 hours last night/this morning/this afternoon. I feel better than I have in a month, but I'm tired again. You suck Jody, you old fart.

No comments: